Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Saving animals and your wallet at the same time!

I know this one is kind of cheating, but I thought, "Hey, it's my first vegan shopping trip so why not post about it?" Why is it cheating? I've been shopping vegetarian for a while, never buy eggs (ick), and rarely buy processed food (which is where milk hides), but still. I wanted to share what I managed to grab - and for how much - by shopping vegan.


Like always, I went to the store with a very loose plan of what I was looking to purchase. A few protein items, some veggies, and some starches. I plan on making myself some vegan chili, so I bought ingredients for that...

And promptly forgot the chili powder! 

But I can pick that up later. What matters is that I bought enough food to feed me and my omnivore fiance for the better part of a week or more on...

$43.99

Even better? It would have only been $36.35 if I hadn't bought some beef for said fiance. Not including that, I got 16 items which means my average spent per item was only $2.27, which is pretty incredible if you ask me.

Downside? The location I went to didn't carry a wide selection of meat replacement items. I grabbed tofu, and they had some Yves items, but only ones that warned they contained milk and eggs, so those were out. Still, I have enough food to last me for quite some time, and healthy food at that. All for less that $45!

And people warned me being a vegan would be expensive.

No comments:

Post a Comment